Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Connectivism Mindmap (Modulel 4)

Click Image to Enlarge

How has your network changed the way you learn?
My network has changed the way I learned because I realize that I have many different resources and approaches available for seeking and receiving information. Smartphones provide the capability to access information from almost any location at anytime. I will download VODCAST to my iPhone and I have the ability to listen and view the information when I have a break or downtime. The audio version allows me to listen to the material when driving instead of always listening to the radio. According to connectivism, knowledge is distributed across an information network and can be stored in a variety of digital formats (Kop and Hill, 2008).

Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?
The blog and discussion board are good digital tools that works for me with learning. I am able to post my analysis of a topic and receive feedback and questions. The questions from professors, instructors, and peers advance my critical thinking and allow me to view the topic from a different perception. The different backgrounds and experience levels are able to be presented through the use of blogs and discussion boards.

How do you learn new knowledge when you have questions?
When I have questions I will utilize my network connections to research the answer. The World Wide Web is always a good resource. I have the option of Smartphone or computer. The media can connect me to a professional develop site such as American Society for Training & Development or with professional from my career field using LinkedIn. I also have the option of using government resources such as the Army Management Staff College.

Reference
Kop, R., & Hill, A. (2008). Connectivism: Learning theory of the future or vestige of the past? International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 9(3), 1–13.

4 comments:

  1. Sullus I enjoyed your mind map, the graphics added a little flair to it. What software did you use to create it? I also noticed that you have Yahoo Messenger and Skype, do you use both of these programs? Is there a particular reason you use them both, do they not have the same functions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sullis

    It is interesting to see the creativity of the various mindmaps. It shows that you are very good at integrating technology into your tasks.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jamie,

    Thank Jamie for your comments. I used FreeMind to create the mind map. I used Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger frequently prior toFacebook. Dr. Powley recommended all of his students that he is mentoring create a Skype account. I have used Skype a couple of times. Our group met in a Skype conference for Module 3 and I thought the program was great. Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, and Skype all allow video display with audio and the ability to chat. I had not really conducted a comparison of the different programs, but you sparked my interest and I found an article that compared all of the popular networking programs. The conclusion is interesting because MSN messenger is considered to be the superior program (Oiaga, 2011). I believe Facebook will add the video chat feature soon.

    Reference

    Oiaga, M. (2011). Windows Live Messenger vs. Skype, Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, ICQ, AIM and Facebook. Retrieved from http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Live-Messenger-vs-Skype-Google-Talk-Yahoo-Messenger-ICQ-AIM-and-Facebook-141073.shtml

    v/r
    Sullus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Gary,

    Thanks for the comment. The assignment allowed me to use new software and explore the features and capabilities. The Freemind mind map software has several features that allow the user to be creative. You can see more effects of the software when you embed the mind map. I enjoyed the experience of using Freemind.

    v/r
    Sullus

    ReplyDelete